5356 Aluminum-magnesium filler metal for non-heat treatable welding of 5XXX or 6XXX series aluminum when tensile strength is most important.
5356 is an all-position 5% silicon alloy used to weld non-heat treatable base alloys. It is most often used to weld the 5XXX series of alloys when 40,000 psi tensile strength is not a requirement. The silicon addition improves puddle fluidity, producing an appealing bead profile. 5356 is a very good all purpose wire, so it is the most widely used of all aluminum fillers metals. 5356 is available for both GMAW (MIG) and GTAW (TIG) welding processes.
- Designed for welding non-heat treatable base alloys, specifically 5XXX series alloys
- Welds 5XXX series alloys when 40,000 psi tensile strength is not required
- Very good general purpose wire
- Most widely used aluminum welding alloy
- Common applications are welding of boats/ships, bicycles, trucks, pressure vessels and automotive parts
- Tensile strength of 39,000 psi (as welded on base plate of 5086)
- White (post anodized) color
- All position, except vertical down welding
- Welding boats, ships, bicycles, trucks, pressure vessels and automotive parts